Dr. Brian C. Castellani
Professor of Sociology, Kent State University
Dr. Brian Castellani
This post talks about Dr. Brian C. Castellani, Professor of Sociology research at Kent State University, Ashtabula, OH 44004.
Dr. Brian Castellani’s research focuses on the complexity science and its implications for sociological inquiry, specifically in terms of health and health care. His teaching focuses on three issues: complexity, globalization and critical/scientific thinking.
The recent courses taught by Dr. Brian Castellani are statistics (data analysis and lab), researching society, sociology of health and health care, special topics course in complexity science, individual and soceity, global social problems, and sociology of mental health.
- Ph.D. in medical sociology from Kent State University in 1997
- M.S. in clinical psychology from Fuller Graduate School of Psychology in 1992
- B.A. in psychology from Kent State University in 1988
- With the Ashtabula Campus since 2005
Director of the Center for Complexity in Health, Robert S. Morrison Health and Science Building, Kent State University at Ashtabula.
Additional positions include (1) Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and (2) Center for the Study of Complex Systems, Kalamazoo College.
- Introduction to Sociology
- Special Topics: Sociology of Complexity
- Sociological Analysis
- Individual and Society
- Sociology of Health and Health Care
- Deviant Behavior
- Social Problems
- Sociological Theories
- Inequality in Society
- Medical Sociology Research Skills and Practicum
- Undergraduate Individual Investigation
- Culture and Psychiatry
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- 2010 Castellani, B. “A Review of Mind and Society: Special Issue on Social Simulation, Volume 8, Number 2, 2009.” Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/13/2/reviews/2.html.
- 2010 Hafferty, F. and B. Castellani. The Increasing Complexities of Professionalism.” Academic Medicine, Flexner Centenary Issues, 85(2): 288-301
- 2009 Castellani, B. and F. Hafferty. Sociology and Complexity Science: A New Area of Inquiry. Germany: Springer (280 pages). http://www.springer.com/physics/complexity/book/978-3-540-88461-3
- 2006 Castellani, B. and F. Hafferty. “The Complexities of Professionalism: A Preliminary Investigation.” In Delese Wear and Julie Aultman’s (Editors) Professionalism in Medicine: Critical Perspectives. Springer: New York.
- 2004 Castellani, J. and B. Castellani. “Data Mining Process and Analysis Strategies for Special Education Technology Decision-Making.” In D. Edyburn, K. Higgins, & R. Boone (Editors), Handbook of Special Education Technology.
- 2003 Castellani, B. J. Castellani, and S. Spray. “Grounded Neural Networking: Modeling Complex Quantitative Data.” Symbolic Interaction, 26(4): 577-589.
- 2003 Castellani, B. and J. Castellani. “Data Mining: Qualitative Analysis with Health Informatics Data.” Qualitative Health Research, 13(7): 1005-1018.
Kent State University 3300 Lake Road West Ashtabula, OH 44004